Bham Rocks
Bham Rocks

Alabama Is Thirsty: The experience of Magic City Brewfest 2013

Posted: 06/04/2013 By: Nick Bailey

The 7th annual Magic City Brewfest was held this past weekend at the beautiful, historic Sloss Furnace. Thousands of craft beer lovers came to experience brews from all over the country, even a few from across the pond. In my opinion, this year had by far the best beer line up. Despite the 85° temperatures and 75% humidity, it was very easy to find something to keep you cool. More than 200 beers from over 70 breweries made the small section of Sloss feel like heaven. There were many familiar names, but I was more impressed by the new ones. Alabama is one of the fastest growing craft beer states in the country, and this year's Brewfest clearly showed it. For the third straight year, our state has had triple digit craft beer growth. Five homegrown breweries made their MCBF debuts this weekend. Trim Tab, Fairhope, Druid City, Railyard, and Old Black Bear were all ready to keep our mouths wet. In addition to the new kids on the block, our older favorites were back and better than ever. Straight to Ale, Avondale, Cahaba, Good People, Blue Pants, Yellowhammer, Back Forty, and Beer Engineers had all obviously grown up in the last few years. From Huntsville to Fairhope, Tuscaloosa to Gadsden, Alabama was represented well. With all that said, we could still use more. Only 3% of the American beer industry is occupied by craft breweries, the other 97% is filled with crap. Alabama can help flip that ratio.